I’ve been playing Star Trek Online since the open beta at the end of January and my opinion of it is generally positive. That isn’t to say there aren’t problems, in fact I agree with most of the complaints about it (and the forums have a lot). The difference with me is I still think it’s fun to play in the mean time (I still think the space combat is the best any Star Trek game has ever had).
I recently came across a series of ideas to improve the game posted on the forums by the player Daren Kitlor (although many others were involved in developing the ideas). This is my attempt to make a few more people read them and hopefully support them (since they are all really good).
Here they are, in my order of liking:
- Iconic Worlds Proposal : “Create large, exterior world maps for various factions. These maps would be populated with many short missions”
- Explore the System Proposal : “Creating new challeges to add variety to existing exploration missions.”
- Intel Missions and Urban Settings : “Urban Environments, Espionage Mission Archetypes (to include Co-Op and Solo)”
- Memory Alpha Tweaks : “Most items have an attribute in [blocks] for each level of rarity it gains. Why not let us select what attributes we’re looking for, based on the tier we have unlocked?”
- Territory Control Proposal : “Help create persistent, PvP territory control without drastically changing the PvP Queues themselves”
- Fleet Starbases and Fleet PVP : “The construction of Fleet-constructed starbases or space stations. Sieges of Fleet-constructed starbases.”
- Ground Combat Proposal : “Star Trek Online has some great space combat. However, the ground combat is often criticized as being lackluster.”
- Socialization Content Proposal : “Enhance the game experience through role-playing or to enhance the role-playing through a game experience.”
And remember, if you’re not yet a player you can play a limited demo for free (sadly without the cool ideas above yet).